Group History

2nd Cheadle Scout Group was formed in 1917 and first met in church premises in Ashfield Road, Cheadle. In the early 1920’s an ex-army hut was acquired and erected on the land belonging to the Group Scout leader of the day, Jack Warburton in New Hey Road, Cheadle. On 23rd December 1940 at 7.30pm a German bomb destroyed the Scout hut, serveral houses and killed 3 people. Meetings were then moved to an empty garage behind the house of the Scout master (Fred Lamb) on the site where Roscoes DIY once stood.

From there an old house near the Red Lion, Cheadle was rented and then on to another ex-army hut in Haw Bank, Cheadle Village. In 1948 the headquarters moved to a site in Bank Street, Cheadle and in May 1959 a bigger and better hut was acquired from RAF Cranage and erected on the Bank Street site. Cheadle and Gatley UDC compulsory purchased the site in 1968 for housing purposes and the hut was dismantled and reassembled on our present site in The Paddock, off Brookfield Road, Cheadle.

In 1976/1977 the brick headquarters that we know today was build and officially opened by Cheadle M.P. Tom Normanton.

In 2007 we undertook a huge building project extending the brick foyer to include disabled toilets and adding a new brick storeroom to house our canoeing equipment and vehicle.

In 2010/2011 extensive works was achieved in the main hall by laying a new floor, redecoration and also a new roof, which has created a cleaner, safer and warmer environment for us all to enjoy.

In 2017 all members celebrated our centenary with an array of events, activities and camps. In February we kicked started our celebrations with Frivolous 100, our Group show involving all members performing on stage at The Peter Barkworth Theatre within Stockport College. An entertaining three nights performing sketches, songs and dance routines. In April we held our annual fundraiser, Ram Roast 41 within the grounds of Abney Scout & Guide Centre, Abney Hall Park, Cheadle. In July all sections came together for a Group camp held within the beautiful National Trust parkland of Tatton Park, Knutsford, Cheshire. An action packed weekend of camping along with water and land based activities enjoyed by around 200 members. In October we took over our local parish church – St. Marys based in Cheadle High Street for the night. Sleeping between the pews, climbing the church tower steps to admire the surrounding views of Cheadle before finishing with a renewal of promise and centenary celebration service. November we held our annual Group bonfire and fireworks night before joining with the local churches in Cheadle, veterans, ATC, Guides and brownies for Remembrance Sunday around the cenotaph on Cheadle Green.

2017 has truly been a remarkable celebration year for 2nd Cheadle Scout Group. We have spent more night’s away camping, activities on the water and time outdoors this year than ever before! #2ndcheadle100